Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 11: Discovering the wonders of Lentil Soup and Banana Walnut Ice Cream!

I have been on a blogging frenzy these last couple of days but I am having so much fun trying all these new recipes I just had to share with you! I am enjoying some banana walnut ice cream right now as we speak and lemme just tell you..amazeballs! As my best friend Christina would say...."it's heaven in my mouth!!"


I made a wonderful Lentil Stew tonight, using some of my aunt's recommendations, the book's recommendations and improvisations based on the available vegetable choices in my fridge. The only thing is my lentils keep getting fatter and fatter as they soak up the vegetable broth! wtf! I won't have any soup left by tomorrow! I shall call this recipe: Aunty Linda's Lovely Lentil Stew



Aunty Linda's Lovely Lentil Stew
Serves 4

2 cups dried lentils
6 cups water
1 quart vegetable broth, low sodium
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I like to use the sweet onions)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 large, ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 celery stalk, finely chopped
Handful of mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup green onion
1 tablespoon cumen

Rinse lentils. Cook the lentils according to directions on package (for each lb of lentils, simmer with 6-8 cups of water for 20-30 minutes). Drain lentils and place back into pot. Add 1 quart of vegetable broth, onion, black pepper, basil, tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, green onion and cumen and let simmer an additional 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Enjoy!

For dessert I made a surprisingly simple but absolutely tasty Banana Walnut Ice Cream!! Um, yum. Who knew three lil ingredients could taste so good together! PS Don't judge it by it's unexciting appearance it tastes much better than it looks!


Banana Walnut Ice Cream
Serves 2

2 ripe bananas, frozen (see note)
1/3 cup vanilla soy, hemp, or almond milk (I used almond milk)
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (I substituted brazilian nuts)

Blend all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth and creamy.
Note: Freeze ripe bananas at least 24 hours in advance. To freeze, peel, cut into thirds, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.


Man if I knew that food would be this simple and fun to make AND tastes good, I would have made this transition a long time ago! I'll admit the first week or so was a little overwhelming. The whole process of writing down all the food items needed, going on the longest scavenger hunt ever for these items at the grocery store and the momentary feelings of hungriness for "real food" as you eye your vegetable/fruit filled fridge in despair definitely did not go by unnoticed but it just really served as a motivator to try new recipes in anticipation of tasty food you can eat without feeling guilty! Once you have the basics and a routine down, things will be faster, more efficient and definitely less daunting!


Do it for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment